why we do what we do
Green Fools develops, creates, teaches, and promotes the arts of mask, puppetry, circus, clown, and physical theatre. We create socially empowering work with our theatre creations, we offer workshops to schools and community organizations, and we provide free Social Circus outreach programs for at-risk, indigenous, new immigrant, and refugee youth. We aspire to be a supportive, productive environment in which diverse children, artists, audiences, and participants can be inspired, grow, create, and evolve.
Green Fools Theatre aspires to be a central creative hub in which artists of diverse backgrounds come together to explore and intertwine circus, theatre, puppetry, mask and physical theatre, manifesting creative works and training programs for the public and other artists. Green Fools aims to create theatre shows that tour internationally and garner local and international attention and reputation for artistic excellence. Green Fools aspires to be the ‘go to’ place for circus arts in Calgary. Children and professionals learn and grow at camps and workshops that build confidence, skills, self-esteem, and teamwork. We aim to make our social circus programs as accessible by providing free workshops to at-risk, indigenous, new immigrant, and refugee youth. Fools aims to have a versatile venue that can house ongoing circus training camps, provide workshop, building, rehearsal and performance space for new theatre works and a vital creative center for Calgary youth, artists and groups.
As an organization, Green Fools Theatre is committed to ensuring that the actions of the company hold true to the following principles:
- Community Outreach – We connect to the larger community through the work we create.
- Original Creation – We develop all aspects of the creations we share: the play, the design, the materials, the artists, the instructors, etc.
- Perseverance – Our focus is on long-range goals.
- Preservation – We cultivate the arts of puppetry, mask, physical theatre, circus and clown.
- Nurturing – We support so they can thrive.
- Inclusive – We bring together diverse ideas and diverse people with perspectives and styles to create great work.
- Inspiring – We inspire and are inspired by the people with whom we work.